Total so far: 3605.8 miles
I met some cyclists yesterday heading in the opposite direction and they painted a disturbing portrait of what's ahead of me.
"It's just nasty. That's the only word for it," one cyclist said.
The mountains ahead of me are said to be extremely steep, and I've always heard they're much harder than the Rockies. The cyclists confirmed it.
They also said the dogs are vicious, something I'd also already heard. Not reassuring after the dog that attacked my bike yesterday as I slogged up a hill. The cyclists said they had 20 scary dog encounters during the stretch I'll be doing over the next two days.
Then again, they also told me that this morning's hill would take me two hours to climb and it took me 20 minutes. I climbed far worse in Missouri.
So I'm hoping that the 3600 miles under my belt will make the coming mountains much easier for me than they were for yesterday's cyclists, who were only just starting their ride. It's not for nothing that I did the Rockies first and saved this for last!
As for the dogs, I have some dog treats in my back pocket in case one gets too close and have definitely ruled out one of the pieces of advice I hear most: a pistol.
I'm just over 700 miles from the finish line...
I met some cyclists yesterday heading in the opposite direction and they painted a disturbing portrait of what's ahead of me.
"It's just nasty. That's the only word for it," one cyclist said.
The mountains ahead of me are said to be extremely steep, and I've always heard they're much harder than the Rockies. The cyclists confirmed it.
They also said the dogs are vicious, something I'd also already heard. Not reassuring after the dog that attacked my bike yesterday as I slogged up a hill. The cyclists said they had 20 scary dog encounters during the stretch I'll be doing over the next two days.
Then again, they also told me that this morning's hill would take me two hours to climb and it took me 20 minutes. I climbed far worse in Missouri.
So I'm hoping that the 3600 miles under my belt will make the coming mountains much easier for me than they were for yesterday's cyclists, who were only just starting their ride. It's not for nothing that I did the Rockies first and saved this for last!
As for the dogs, I have some dog treats in my back pocket in case one gets too close and have definitely ruled out one of the pieces of advice I hear most: a pistol.
| Downtown in a Kentucky town |
| Starting the Appalachians |
I'm just over 700 miles from the finish line...
There is light at the end of the tunnel---700 more miles. Let's hope that their opinion of the steep hills will not be yours. Afterall, what took them 2 hours only took you 20 minutes. But those dogs.... I wonder what the explanation for that many happens to be. I'll be thinking about you. Stay safe.
ReplyDeleteJean Ralley
When I talk about the dogs, all the Kentuckians agree that they're terrible, suggest violent means of protecting myself, and claim the problem is due to poor leash laws. I met a cyclist last night going west and he said the dogs in Virginia are better (but agreed the Kentucky dogs are terrifying), so I'm hoping the problem will lessen once I cross the border. It's just 70 miles away...
ReplyDeleteHope you have escaped more experiences with the dogs and that you are now in Virginia. Looks as though mountains are the next challenge with the Atlantic not too far in the distance. What a woman!! :) That will be a wonderful feeling of accomplishment. Go, go, go
ReplyDeleteJean Ralley