Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A 110-Mile Sprint

Total so far: 929.7 miles

I biked 110.8 miles yesterday, my new personal record and my third century ever.

Let me specify. That 110.8 miles included a long climb up to my highest point yet (Roger's Pass - the Continental Divide - at 5610 ft), 50 miles of riding without a single town, headwinds, a thunderstorm, crosswinds that literally blew me off the road (it was so windy I even saw a bar called "Really Windy"), a few dozen miles of accidentally swallowing bugs, and for the final miles I had dirt and sand and glass pelted at my arms and face because of the winds.

But apparently I am an underachiever.

I say that because at my campsite I met a couple whose last bike trip took 14 months and spanned 3 continents (they say bike touring in India is great... hmm...). So my 3-month, 4000+ mile trip looks pretty wimpy in comparison.

I also met a rider in my first week who told me, "I'd like to bike across the US someday, too, just not so slowly." He dreams of doing RAM, the Race Across America. The last winner biked across the entire country in less than 9 days. I guess I should have finished my trip last week.

To honor my slowness, I am taking today off to check out Great Falls. I visited the Lewis and Clark Museum and the Montana State Fair. This is my last sign of civilization for quite some time, so I wanted to take advantage of it. In my next 500 miles to Williston, ND, (population 13000), the biggest town I'll hit is Lewiston, population 6000.

Speaking of Great Falls, I should add that this is where Lewis almost got killed by a grizzly. Hope the bears aren't hungry tonight.

I did have some photos picked out for this post, but since I forgot my camera cord at the campsite, that will have to be for another time.


No comments:

Post a Comment